Scientific Studies Association (ILEM) as a partner of Language Acts and Worldmaking project calls for papers for the international conference al-Andalus in Motion: Travelling Concepts and Cross-Cultural Contexts to be held on November 15-16, 2018, hosted by Istanbul Medeniyet University.
The history of Iberia, as both an originator and a product of global colonization, constitutes a field of study for interrogating fundamental concepts of contemporary liberal-democratic societies. The ‘Iberianate venture’ embraces the ‘Al-Andalus’ syndrome (Islamic Andalusia as a model of tolerant co-existence between Christians, Muslims and Jews), the Iberian ‘Black legend’ (repressive Inquisitorial Catholicism, imperial brutality, economic backwardness), and Sefarad (an ambiguous place of home and exile for Iberian Jews). Within the framework of the ‘Traveling Concepts’ strand of Language Acts & Worldmaking, this conference will focus on the many ways in which Al Andalus becomes a figure of thought, a means by which societies, minority groups, and individuals past and present represent and critically engage with questions of religious pluralism, intercultural contact, and national identity.
Submissions are welcome on any topic related to Al-Andalus and its afterlives including, but not limited to:
• The Languages, cultures, literatures and musics of al-Andalus and its diasporas
• Memory and Identity in the Andalusi and Sephardic diasporas and its diverse contexts of settlement;
• The trajectory of an ideological fascination with Muslim Spain/Al Andalus as a hybrid space, a porous frontier between East and West, Islam and Christendom
• Sephardic and Andalusi heritage industry and cultural tourism;
• Alhambrismo & the Moorish style in Architecture and the decorative arts; material culture, Orientalism and Neo-Orientalism;
• Language encounters between Al-Andalus, Iberia and Sefarad: oralities, scripts, texts, translations;
• The circulation of ideas and representations of Al Andalus from early modern days to the present, in Europe, Latin America, Turkey, and the broader Islamicate world, and their cultural, ideological and political uses;
• Al-Andalus in fantasy and worldbuilding games and virtual reality;
• The cultural and political traction of the chronotopes of al-Andalus in the Christian, Muslim and Sephardic worlds;
• Travel and travellers in al-Andalus/Sefarad/Iberia across time and space;
• Moros y Cristianos festivals, al-Andalus fairs, public history and historical re-enactment;
• Al-Andalus as a combat concept in War on Terror times.
Abstracts should be submitted by using online application system at http://lawmalandalus.org/apply until August 31, 2018. The abstracts should be between 250-400 words.
All submissions will be blind reviewed by the scientific committee on the basis of technical quality, relevance to main theme, originality, significance, and clarity.
Accommodation expenses of only selected participants will be covered by the organization. Unfortunately, there are no travel grants available.
The conference will be hosted by Istanbul Medeniyet University Graduate School of Social Sciences.
Address: Dumlupınar Mahallesi, D-100 Karayolu No:98, 34000 Kadıköy İstanbul
Book publication of selected conference proceedings is envisaged following editorial selection by the organizing committee.
THE CONFERENCE WILL BE HOSTED BY ISTANBUL MEDENIYET UNIVERSITY GRADUATE SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
+90 216 310 43 18
The conference is organized by Scientific Studies Association (ILEM) under Language Acts and Worldmaking Project, and the hosted by Istanbul Medeniyet University Social Science Institute.
Aziz Mahmut Hüdai Mh. Halk Cd. Türbe Kapısı Sk. No:13 Üsküdar, İstanbul, Turkey
+90 216 310 43 18